Wednesday, April 18, 2012

In which I realize "Editing" is going to be a lot more like "Re-writing"

*headdesk*

Okay, I understand the point of NaNoWriMo was to get a rough draft done super-quickly, and it was great for that, don't get me wrong.

But dear fluffy lord my manuscript needs a lot of work.  I read through the first 75 pages last night and I have come to realize that the "editing" I forsaw in my future is really a lot of "re-writing". 

I still love my story and my characters, but there is SO MUCH DETAIL missing from my story that it was driving me nuts.

So basically what I got out of NaNo was less of a first draft (though I'm still going to be calling it that because it makes me feel all ACCOMPLISHED and stuff) and more of a really fleshed-out outline.

Writers, does this ever happen to you?  What do you do when you have the first-draft-rewriting-blues?

...I need ALL the help I can get, especially since re-writes are going to take a lot of time and I'm easily distracted by shiny thi---Oooh SHINY!

1 comment:

  1. I still totally think you can call it a first draft. Even with all the rewriting you have the bare bones of a story. You know your characters and you know what they're going to do.
    Good luck with all the re-writing!!

    ReplyDelete